So as a physical education major I am required to get in a variety of observation hours. In Physical Education you do not just observe the age level you want to teach, but you much observe all of them. I have already completed my observation for the most part, but this semester I still have some to take care of.
Tuesday I got to observe the mentally handicapped of Maryville bowl at Bearcat lanes. I got to help them get where they needed to go, and encouraged them when they got frustrated with certain tasks. They were so friendly with me, my favorite story was when a 50 year old lady showed me her Hannah Montana watch she got for Christmas. She kept on informing that she is a pop star! It was such a great experiance to give a little of myself to help those that just need alot of extra attention.
This semester I am observing pre-school kids on MWF. I am probably never going to work with this age level, but the experiance is more than rewarding! Today was my first day with them and it was so fun. First I helped the kids zip up their coats and get on their winter hats, because I got to take them out for recess today. They all wanted to play tag with me, and I made them all chase me, haha yep I pulled out some old football moves as I dipped and dodged as they all tried to tag me. It was quite the experiance, as I got chased by 20 four year olds!
Today was a big basketball game as the Bearcats played Missouri Southern, for the girls team it ended up as a pretty rough night, we lost by 20. I am a student coach for the women, and we really have had a tough year. The guys however pulled out a very close win. I got to watch the guys game with Garrett, which was really cool, because throughout the years we have not been able to hang as much as we used to in high school.
I think I learned alot from the mentally handicapped and the preschool kids. In life I think we take things a little to seriously. Heck I know I do. When bowling the mentally handicapped were not concerned about how well they did or what others may get to do, they were just happy that they got to do something! And the preschoolers were just happy they had a new teacher to play with today, they didn't care what I looked like or how I talked, they were just happy to have a new friend!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First of all, I see absolutely nothing wrong with a 50 year old woman wearing a Hannah Montana watch. LOL. Also, good that you're getting practice with coats, hats, and whatnot as you will be doing a lot of this when you have kids. Except, you'll likely be chasing them instead of the other way around.
ReplyDelete